Thursday 18 August 2011

Civilized advertising?

Whilst on the topic of racism, look what caught my eye today:
When I saw this picture on Facebook, I was completely gobsmacked. I mean, what can one say? Like one person commented, where was the diversity team when Nivea came up with this???

After receiving I-can-only-imagine-the-numerous-number-of complaints, Nivea posted this rather, erm heartfelt comment:

"Thank you for caring enough to give us your feedback about the recent "Re-civilized" NIVEA FOR MEN ad. This ad was inappropriate and offensive. It was never our intention to offend anyone, and for this we are deeply sorry. This ad will never be used again. Diversity and equal opportunity are crucial values of our company."

Now, as an avid Nivea Cream user, I don't know, do I have to boycott Nivea from now on? Or just accept the fact that this sort of campaign could slip out of any company's marketing camp?

5 comments:

Raine said...

I have no words.

I'm a Jergens girl anyway.

Maya Mame said...

Jergens? Don't think we have that over here. I'll have to research for options...

Raine said...

Aveeno, Olay, Dove?

Then there is borderline clinical strength Eucerin which is for folks with serious sensitive/dry skin issues...

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

Still can't believe that this idea got all the way to print and distribution BEFORE they realised how offensive it was. The mind boggles. I'm not into boycotting if I dont think it will make a difference. This is one such occassion. Even their apology shows they don't give a....

Maya Mame said...

Thanks Raine, I've tried some of Dove's products, may just give them another go.

Exactly, Nsoromma, if you ask me, they probably don't see what the fuss is really about. That would explain the lame apology.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails