Tuesday 27 January 2009

Obama vs. AL Jazeera

Isn't it funny that just after writing about Al Jazeera, the station is under speculation as CNN ponders over Obama snubbing them by choosing Al Arabyia for his first interview, and Al Jazeera snubbing Obama back by not reporting his statement at all! From the reports, it seems Al Jazeera is perceived differently here (or by me?) than by the U.S. (or CNN?). After all, after watching Al Jazeera for the past few years on Metro and DSTV, I find it as westernised a station as BBC and CNN. But CNN speaks of the station as still seen as radical, or possibly just the leading station from that region.

Today I said a sad goodbye. For a few days each year we have a lovely reunion. It's all cool, straight and shining glory. I enjoy it so much, I forget to capture the brief moments by taking pictures, forgetting these days will soon be over. Then this morning I woke up, felt a bit of volume on my head. As I tried straightening my hair before my morning meeting and watched it curl up a few minutes later, I knew our time in 2009 was already over. Those first few dry, un-humid days as Harmattan enters Accra, have come to an end, and we look ahead to another 360 days of humidity before it comes again. For me this means a trip to Auntie Alice hair salon in the next few days, to cornrow my head of unruly hair. I am just so glad I managed to flash my sleek, straight, shiny hair at Captain Hooks on Saturday!

Having natural hair in Ghana? Enye easy koraa!

6 comments:

novisi said...

Maya,
some would call it "one-one draw" (like we say) and go to bed...

i would say if indeed Obama snubbed Aljazeera then that is shame on him... like Clinton did put it during the primaries: "shame on you Obama, shame on you!"(with a big laugh to add: hehehehe!)... because he sets such high standards for us all including himself...he has no business to be hostile to 'hostile' media...period! BUT IF NOT, THEN IT COULD JUST BE A MATTER OF CHOICE WHICH SHOULD BE OK.

and if it's a matter of just choice and yet Aljazeera is also snubbing Obama, then i'd wish Clinton to bring her experience in calling the shame of others to bear here with 'MIGHTY' force so she and i (and others) would together shame Aljazeera in capital letters! hehehee!

and aaaahh... the harmattan! it's a nice feel really... only it makes a single like me dream some more...

and yeah, go for the cornrow and keep it all natural... i have a core of gal friends who would almost curse at the mention of natural hair... makes me wonder what the little gals of today are learning (as if i was that old...hahahaha)!

more cheers!

Maya Mame said...

I definitely think it was a matter of choice as you mentioned, Novisi, which is why it seems a bit petty of Al Jazeera not to report on it. But what do I know about what goes on behind the scenes...

The little gals of today need to learn to be proud of their curls, but unfortunately the best lesson of them all is: want to keep your hair natural? Don't move to an equitorial country! After all, it takes the softest of hairs (like mine, luckily) to make it in Ghana.

Anonymous said...

I am one of those to be honest who has soured on Al Jazeera. I was furious when they were banned in the U.S., especially even by the satellite providers. The U.S. is the worse for it, and I believe the majority understand that now.

On the other hand, I watch Al Jazeera when I am in Kenya or Ghana, and they too have begun to exhibit an open bias. They definitely pursue "an all bad things America" editorial slant that was evident in their reporting of the financial crisis as well as the Gaza conflagration. To me they are becoming the mirror opposite of FOX NEWS with little objectivity in between.

The Author said...

No comment, but reading you! I like your hair.

Maya Mame said...

Gosh Sijui,
I had never analysed Al Jazeera in that way, but I can see how it's representing the other end of the spectrum. What a shame as I saw the station as a breath of fresh air compared to all the western media we usually follow.

Maya Mame said...

Thanks Nana Yaw!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails