Tuesday 5 August 2008

The rest of the weekend

Didn't forget to tell all about the rest of the weekend, just haven't had time yet.

Saturday was meant to be spent in Tema, going to the funeral of our local shopkeeper's husband (the links are never to distant for one to be invited to a funeral), but an offer to go to the Ada Asafotufiami festival, with a promise of being back in Accra by two changed those plans.

So off we were to Ada, me tired and hungry but excited to see what was waiting. Once we arrived, after a one and a half hour journey, I was amazed to see the amount of people that turned up. I have never heard of the festival before but judging from the groups of people from all corners of the world that were there, it must be bigger than I thought.

Several chiefs and political party leaders were present and to the background sound of gunshots and marching bands we heard them speak. The origins of the Ada festival are to encourage and sustain peace in an area that previously experienced many disputes. This message was shared by the chiefs and the party leaders.

After being invited to dinner at a beautiful resort in Ada, we finally left to head back to Tema and Accra, reaching Tema around...8p.m. Needless to say, I missed the funeral.

Instead we headed to Labone, rested for about seven minutes before it was time to head out again with SQB to the National Theatre for the comedy evening: Night of 1006 Laughs. AS promised, there were lots of laughs, and lots of people, in fact more people than seats, but selfish me, I stopped caring after I got my seat!

Sunday started with a well deserved sleep-in before heading to Teshie-Nungua to visit M2B who is now 16 days away from delivering her baby! Several games of later I headed to Akinyi's were I got the longed for chapati and finally got to see the Surprise baby (will have to elaborate on that later).

Unfortunately it seems a weekend full of fun is more tiring than a weekend full of work, so now I am struggling to keep my eyes open. I'm hoping for the early night I should have had yesterday, but yesterday was AGH's send off back to Sweden at the beautiful, breezy poolside of the Holiday Inn.

(Picture stolen from InterContinental hotels)

If you haven't been, go there, it's the best sea breeze you can get in Accra sans mosquitoes.

2 comments:

posekyere said...

Gee whiz!
I'm pretty fascinated by your tempo and amazing stamina for life.
I suppose all work without play, as they say, makes Ama a dull girl.

I suggest you stock up bundles of Red Bull to keep you going.

Maya Mame said...

So you can understand my exhaustion! I live by the motto work hard, play hard, but sometimes the hard playing is too much.
And no Red bull for me, just plain old fresh air, water and sometimes I go all out with a tonic water with ice and lime! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails