Wednesday 23 April 2008

A lawyer's power

Monday morning did not start off well. After leaving the gym, as I did a right turn which I had indicated for quite a while, slowed down for two bicycles to ensure I didn’t hit them, a third bike rider who was obviously in his own world, rode right into the back of my car. Luckily he wasn’t injured and got right up and continued riding. I wasn’t amused and my gut feeling told me today felt like a day for a car accident. I said a little prayer (dear God, please let me get to work safely) and continued driving to work. As I took the right turn after passing Ridge Circle, I breathed a sigh of relief, I had made it...or so I thought. Just as I passed the exit of the car park I felt my car turn to the side, as a person leaving the car park (I had seen him, but didn’t realised he would drive with his eyes closed (after all, what other reason could there be?)) hit the back of Roger.

Luckily for me, he was a driver of one of the top guys in the bank in our building so I wouldn’t have to worry about him driving off. After I had told him off for his reckless driving, we went to his boss’ office to discuss the accident and what would follow.

What made me laugh was that the first thing his boss (who I often meet and greet at the entrance of our building and in the lift) said after hearing what had happened was:

“Oh, how could you hit her car? Don’t you know she’s a lawyer?!”

It so perfectly summed up the respect/fear that people have of lawyers in Ghana!

Now what awaits is sorting out the buckle and spraying Roger, which has all been delayed because of my extra long dental appointment yesterday and not being in the office today. The bank guy has since Monday made sure he calls often enough and even stops by the office to make sure I am still happy and not concerned about the delay in fixing the car. Naturally, he ends every conversation with: “So madam, we are ok? Please don’t send us any legal letters.”

1 comment:

The Author said...

You lawyers must really be powerful there. I was once told that in Mongolia, there are far more women lawyers than men. Reason, the profession is not respected. Shocking for both sexism and anti-legalism. So you guys enjoy it here in Ghana. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails